Exploring netCDF using sds

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I this I need more help on this matter. The following are my codes to read a netCDF file and the outputs are also given.

Codes:

using (sds.DataSet ds = sds.DataSet.Open(DesiredLoc))

{

Console.WriteLine("netCDF DataSet " + ds.Name + "(" + ds.DataSetGuid + ")" + " contents: ");

Console.WriteLine(" Variables:");

foreach (sds.Variable v in ds.Variables)

{

Console.WriteLine(v.ToString());

}

Console.WriteLine(" dimensions:");

foreach (sds.Dimension v in ds.Dimensions)

{

Console.WriteLine(v.ToString());

}

Console.ReadLine();

}

Output:

Variables

[7] Lon of type double (y: 277) (x: 349)

[6] Lon of type double (y: 277) (x: 349)

[5] lambert_Conformal of type S byte

[4] x of type double (x: 349)

[3] y of type double (y: 277)

[2] time of type (time: 1)

[1] total_precipitation of type single (time: 1) (y: 277) (x: 349)

Dimensions:

(y: 277)

(x: 349)

(time: 1)

Now I have the following questions:

What method/codes I should use to visualize the total_precipitation. If possible, I also want to add an USA map on the background.

I want to export this netCDF file in a csv where the three columns will represent lon, lat and total_precipitation respectively. Can I do that using sds? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.

Avi

Developer
Jul 13, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Hi Avi,

(1) Visualization of a DataSet. You can use a WPF control named DataSetViewControl to visualize a dataset in different ways. This control is a part of the full installation package. There are a number of visualization tutorials demonstrating how to use the control. The source codes for the tutorials can be downloaded here; open the solution Main/sln/CodePlexTutorials/CodePlexTutorials.sln

The total_precipitation variable can be visualized as a color map. For this, you should first reduce its dimensionality, since only 2d data can be visualized as a color map. For this, add a computational variable for the total_precipitation variable, that contains the same data but reduced for the given time index; use DataSet.StrideVariable() method (see also Scientific DataSet Reference in the Start/Programs menu after the SDS is installed):

Variable sprec = ds.StrideVariable(ds.Variables["total_precipitation"], 
    new int[,] { 0, 0, 0 }, // "origin": from the beggining of the array
    new int[] { 0, 1, 1 },  // "stride": first dimension is reduced; others - taking every index
    new int[] { 1, 0, 0 }, // "count": first is reduced; others - take all
    "total_precipitation_stridden"); // name of the new stridden variable

After this, the ds contains new "virtual" variable named "total_precipitation_stridden" (it will not be added in the source file). This variable is a 2d-slice of the original total_precipitation for fixed index 0 along the first dimension "time". 

Now, total_precipitation_stridden can be visualized as a 2d-variable.

(2) Yes, you can; but you should "linearize" the data manually. The DataSet allows you (i) to read the data from the original dataset; (ii) create an output CSV dataset and (iii) put the properly transformed arrays in the CSV dataset. The following sample shows how it can be done using SDS:

using Microsoft.Research.Science.Data;
using Microsoft.Research.Science.Data.Imperative; /* don't forget to add a reference to this assembly, too */

using(DataSet src = DataSet.Open("source.nc"))
using(DataSet dst = DataSet.Open("destination.csv?openMode=create")
{
   double[] lats = src.GetData<double[]>("Lat");
   double[] lons = src.GetData<double[]>("Lon");
   float[,] prec = src.GetData<float[,]>("total_precipitation",
         DataSet.ReduceDim(0), /* removing first dimension from data*/
         DataSet.FromToEnd(0),
         DataSet.FromToEnd(0));

int n = lats.Length * lons.Length;
   dst.Add<double[]>("lat", "i"); // variable lat depends on i
   dst.Add<double[]>("lon", "i");
   dst.Add<double[]>("total_precipitation", "i");
   // All new variables depend on same single dimensions,
   // i.e. we get a table as an output

for(int ilat = 0; ilat < lats.Length; ilat++)
        for(int ilon = 0; ilon < lons.Length; ilon++)
        {
            dst.Append("lat", lats[ilat, ilon]);
            dst.Append("lon", lons[ilon, ilon]);
            dst.Append("total_precipitation", prec[ilat, ilon]);
        }
}

In fact, the table lat,lon,precipitation can be visualized as a point set using DataSetViewerControl (visualization style "PointSet").

I hope this will help,

Dmitry.

Jul 13, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Hi Dmitry, 

Thank you so much for your reply. It seems relly helpful. I have few more question/problem with this.

1. while implementing the following code it got error messages.

new int[,] { 0, 0, 0 }, // "origin": from the beggining of the array
    new int[] { 0, 1, 1 },  // "stride": first dimension is reduced; others - taking every index

error 1-4: for this line

new int[,] {0,0,0}, // "origin": from the beginning of the array

Invalid rank specifier: expected ',' or ']'    

error 5: The type arguments for method 'Microsoft.Research.Science.Data.DataSet.StrideVariable<DataType>

(Microsoft.Research.Science.Data.Variable<DataType>, int[], int[], int[], string)' cannot be inferred from the usage. Try specifying the type arguments explicitly.

actuaaly after getting errors, i also played a little bit with codes using the reference guide. Bt didn't make any improvements. Could you please tell me what is wrong here?

2. here you showed a way to reduce the dimensionality (3-d to 2-d variable). In this case it was easy, because time had only one dimension (time: 1). 

But if had 12 dimensions (one for each month, for example), could i implement the same concept? If so, how?

3. in the given link (visualization style)

i found a interesting idea: http://sds.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Visualization%20styles&referringTitle=Visual%20hints

example 5. Points style requires three variables: value, x, and y defined on the same dimension. The visualization shows points at x[i],y[i] with color defined by value[i]

I want to implement the same concept here. I want to plot lat and lon and show colors as the value of precipitation (blue for high, red for low). Could you please send me sample codes for this style.

I know i am asking too much silly questions and help. Actually i am very new in C# and don't know much about other languages as well. Please take my apologies. I very much look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks once again for all your help.

Avi

Developer
Jul 14, 2011 at 8:19 AM

Hi Avi,

To fix the mistypes, do the following:

1a. Instead of

new int[,] {0,0,0}, // "origin": from the beginning of the array

use

new int[] {0,0,0}, // "origin": from the beginning of the array

1b. Instead of

use

Variable sprec = ds.StrideVariable((Variable<float>)ds.Variables["total_precipitation"], 

2. Yes, it is possible. For example, if you need time with index timeIndex, use such code:

int timeIndex = 11; // December
Variable sprec = ds.StrideVariable((Variable<float>)ds.Variables["total_precipitation"], 
    new int[] { timeIndex, 0, 0 }, // "origin"

Even more, for once created stridden variable (i.e. sprec), you at any time can change the reduced index. For example, to make sprec correspond to timeIndex=1 (February), do the following:

sprec.Metadata[StriddenVariableKeys.KeyForOrigin] = new int[] { 1 };

After this line, sprec "contains" data for February.

3. The sample for visualizing data using PointSet visualization is in the Visualization tutorial 4. Download source codes here; open the solution Main/sln/CodePlexTutorials/CodePlexTutorials.sln

Good luck,

Dmitry.