How to create a Group to NetCDF?

Mar 3, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Does it support creating group in NetCDF? Since SDS uses NetCDF-4, it has no doubt to have the feature of creating Group. Can anybody tell me how to do it?

Mar 3, 2011 at 3:20 PM
Edited Mar 3, 2011 at 3:29 PM

No, SDS API doesn't allow creating NetCDF groups. 

The reason is that SDS is not a managed wrapper for NetCDF and thus does not cover all its functionality. Instead, NetCDF provider is just "one of many" supported data providers. The goal is that particular data source could be changed transparently for an application. For example, the DataSet Viewer application can visualize data from any source which has an SDS provider. So, such provider should implement only functionality sufficient for SDS API, which has no such notion as "group".

Nevertheless, some support of groups can be introduced in future versions of the NetCDF provider, using its construction string. For example, it may looks as follows:

DataSet ds = DataSet.Open("data.nc?group=myGroup");

which would create or open a group with given name. And then the ds instance is "attached" to this particular group and enables operations within it. I will add this suggestion as an issue to the issue tracker of the project.

Thanks,

Dmitry.

Mar 3, 2011 at 3:58 PM

By the way. Do you have that plan to include HDF5Provider in your wishlist?

SDS does really solve my a lot of my obstacles, Thanks!

Mar 3, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Yes, we have such plans, but not at an early date.